[DeTomaso] Two Pantera Questions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 00:48:29 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/17/08 21 07 34, Pantera007 at provamo.com writes:

> Actually the reason the factory changed the rear ZF mount (I believe)
> is that with one (rear) mount and two front mounts, the ZF can much more
> easily
> twist under the applied torque.
> I do not have evidence (photos) of damage caused by the "early" mount, so I
> am
> "surmising".
>
>>>That's true.   What would happen is that the Dash-1 gearbox would twist
under torque, and crack the mounting lugs on the bellhousing, or (more
frequently), the cast sideplates.   The improved mounting system coincided and
paralleled the development of a different bellhousing arrangement, and different
sideplates.

GT40s used the same sideplates as the Mangusta and Dash-1 Panteras, but they
cast up about a hundred sets in aluminum to save weight.   Those were found to
be structurally weak in the GT40, and most were replaced with cast iron as a
result of cracks that developed.   Most of the Pantera Dash-1 gearboxes got
the cast iron sideplates, but some Mangustas and a few Panteras received the
aluminum ones, apparently.

> >Sometimes DeTomaso changed things to be easier, sometimes cheaper,
> sometimes because
> Ford made him, and sometimes it was "better".
>
> Which was the reason in this case?  I don't know.

produce, not less, but the net result was better.