[DeTomaso] Maximum Tire Height

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 10:08:07 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/17/08 2 58 36, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> Has anyone pushed the envelope on tire height? Specifically, this is for a
> Group IV car.
> I'm not sure if we can get taller than 25" in front and 27" in back?

Anything over about 25 inches starts to look stupid.   The whole reason a Gr4
car looks so good, and so mean, is because it's very low and very wide.
When you put 18 or 19-inch wheels on the car, it winds up looking like a
jacked-up SUV.   I've seen some Gr4 Panteras with 19-inch wheels that you practically
have to step UP to get into.

Among other things, jacking the car up sky-high probably ruins the handling,
making them more top-heavy and less stable under cornering.

You should just save your money and buy some good racing tires for your
15-inch wheels, and keep the car down low where it belongs. :>)