[DeTomaso] Harmonic Balancer

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 21:00:55 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/13/08 4:12:45 PM, mikebecker at cox.net writes:

> For the last week or 2, I've been pulling my hair our trying to figure out
> why its impossible to set the timing on my car.  It turns out that the ring
> (with the timing marks) has become separated from the
> crankshaft/dampener/pulley assembly.  The ring moves a little bit, each time I blip the throttle, so
> the marks are always moving.  It looks like an original/stock unit.

All rubber-isolated harmonic balancers eventually do this after 37 years of
abuse. There have been a couple of articles in the POCA News on this problem
recently which you must have missed. Last year, I installed a Romak balancer
from Australia because the outer ring is captured so it cannot move but can be
rebuilt if damaged. It cost $250. If thats too rich for your blood, I suggest a
completely stock assembly from one of the vendors. Going other places to save
a buck can be a hassle to find one that has a four-bolt crank pully. A NOS or
a used one will very likely be exactly like what you have- I personally have
four with spun outer rings, and be aware that the 4-lb ring can either come
flying off entirely and you are liable if someone behind you collects it with
their windsheld. Or it can move backward and wear a hole in the front edge of the
oil pan. Both have happened. Good luck- J Deryke