[DeTomaso] Starter Woe's

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 09:20:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/11/08 5 26 45, dave at damardirect.com writes:

> Maybe it was an internal note. I installed mine last night, worked great. I
> am going to remove it tonight so I can remove the lower mounting stud and
> replace it with a bolt as I did with the top stud. Dennis Yogi told me to
> remove the top stud because the flange on the new starter was thicker than
> the OEM & the stud was not long enough.

True--but you're much better off replacing the stud with a longer stud, not a
bolt.   It makes hanging the starter easier, and also you're threading into
aluminum, which will only take so much of that.

If metric studs aren't readily available, cut a long metric bolt to length
and turn it into a stud.   You might want to use some Loctite to secure it in
the back of the bellhousing.