[DeTomaso] Starter Woe's

Dave McManus dave at damardirect.com
Thu Sep 11 08:26:04 EDT 2008

Maybe it was an internal note. I installed mine last night, worked great. I
am going to remove it tonight so I can remove the lower mounting stud and
replace it with a bolt as I did with the top stud. Dennis Yogi told me to
remove the top stud because the flange on the new starter was thicker than
the OEM & the stud was not long enough.

>From Dennis:
Aloha Dave,

On my '73, the upper starter stud was too short and I replaced it with a
bolt.  Other than that, the started was a direct fit.  If you didn't request
the wiring harness from them, see if you can get it before they ship your
starter.  While easy to make . . .hey its free from them.

Don't toss the original starter stud as it is special as is everything on
the Pantera.  Its SAE on one end and metric on the other.

Aloha,

Dennis

I used 3/8-16  1-1/4" length SAE bolt. I am going to replace the lower stud
because the stud threads do not clear the inside of the nut when tight, so
close but makes me nervous. I will take pictures of the nose for you.

Indy Dave