[DeTomaso] Some Jr Wilson history

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 15:46:20 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/10/08 8:54:20 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> I think there were two Junior Wilson Silver State cars?  This one and one a
> lot closer to stock?

THere were several. I used to visit Jr regularly in Salinas CA. He built
three different engines and three different cars that I know of. First came his
street Pantera. He built a sprint-car Fontana block out to 427 cubes w/SVO A-3
heads. That combination never satisfied Jr whose ambition was to beat JR
Gottlieb's phony 'record' of 199+ mph average in a NASCAR-style Z-28. Turns out that
'record' was never actually timed- there was a glitch in the setup of the
timers so the organizers guessed at the ET and thus the avg speed. Gottlieb was
never able to repeat his time and Jr was 'only' able to do a real 177+ mph
average in his black Pantera.
Then he bought a Pantera that had caught fire & burned in FL. Jr bought the
scrap and repaired it strictly for racing. He built a monster-motor 572-inch
Boss 429 engine of some 860 horses, for it. The giant engine was not pushed back
in the chassis, so the entire front of the longer block protruded into the
cockpit behind an extended bulkhead cover. Good thing Jr was a small guy!
In the final iteration, Jr cut the whole floor & chassis out of the Pantera
and had a tube frame built locally at   a shop not far from Tony Harvey's old
home. This Pantera was somehow still street licensed (CA license- 55 HE HE).
Interestingly, all the Panteras had stock suspensions, calipers & solid rotor
brakes. Jr wasn't much into slowing down..... His big problem was, the big
block machines weighed over 4200 lbs without driver and navigator and all the
tires he could find were unreliable on pavement at those enormous speeds with
that much weight. The dirt track wing attacled directly to the rear of the ZF
further loaded the rear tires. Bonneville salt is cool and moist but blacktop
heats up rubber.
After 5 rear tire blow-outs above 200 mph (without serious damage!) in
Panteras, the last car he built was a GTP-style single seat fiberglas body, on a
different tube frame with an even more powerful version of his Boss 429. This
thing's only real relationship to a Pantera was the DeTomaso tail lights and a
couple of cockpit switches. It's ZF ran a 2.65 ring & pinion- stock is 4.22. Jr
once tested this frightening machine at 265 mph on the interstate near 'Vegas
very early in the morning... The GTP car was totally destroyed in Jr's only
serious crash that ended his SS career. He was self sponsored and told me the
GTP version was 'what you get if you spend $10,000 a month for 3 years on your
Pantera....' Last I heard, Jr still had the tube framed Pantera with a bored &
stroked 460 in it, but it was for sale for about the cost of the engine.
J DeRyke