[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 03:35:43 EDT 2008

We should all note that in a street Pantera, NO oil cooler at all is required
unless continuous operation above about 130 mph is done regularly. And by
'continuous', I mean over about 10 full minutes above 130 mph in 5th gear, or 6-8
max-effort laps of an open track in the lower gears at high (5000-up) rpms.
Below that level of engine loading, oil temps and water temps will track within
a few degrees F in most cars. The speeds required and the distance travelled
at such speeds (2 miles per minute in 5th= 120 mph; 10 minutes at that speed
will cover 20 full miles) preclude most U.S owners from ever seeing
significantly high oil temps (above 275 F) on the road. For 90+ mile Silver-State type
open road events, the long course at Bonneville or long open-track events,
Panteras will likely need oil coolers to save their engines, or wind up driving by
oil temp gauge readings. My unsuccessful experiments with various sizes of
air-to-oil coolers in a street Pantera led me to the oil-to-water Laminova for
its high heat rejection AND take-apart cleanability, and then to a used
Ford/Laminova unit for its affordability. FWIW- J Deryke

Psssst...Have
you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and
hair styles at StyleList.com.