[DeTomaso] Clutches- long and short of it

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 03:12:53 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/8/08 11:22:51 PM, hemipanter at hemipanter.se writes:

> What about the bersamel springs or not? This must affect the clearance
> needed.

This came thru garbled, Goran. But if you're referring to the wavy
spring-part of the friction disc (we call them belleville springs), yes- that will
adversely affect the possible disengagement clearance by making the disc thicker. I
assumed that whoever needed clutch info would be using the same thickness of
friction disc as stock. Flattening of the wavy part of a Ford pasenger car
friction disc was one of the things the factory did early-on to increase
disengagement clearance a few thousandths, but I think pounding them flat is   no
longer necessary since correct-thickness clutch friction discs are readily
available today. Some use multiple small coil springs while others use a plain flat
disc with no shock-load-absorbtion capability. Cheers- J DeRyke

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest
fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.