[DeTomaso] Oil, re-hash

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon Sep 8 16:34:13 EDT 2008

Certainly Doug,

All the reading I did was on various forums talking about oils, zinc,
who had it, who didn't, and experiences running different oils.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the feedback I read through
was old. There were many comments from people who had used Mobil 1 and
started experiencing problems, then switched to another brand with
high concentrations of ZDDP and the problems went away (to the extent
that mechanical interference problems -really- go away).  Some folks
had indicated Mobil 1 was aware of the market and it's perception and
was taking strides to reformulate to add more zinc.  Some people who
posted had indicated they had even called the consumer line listed on
the bottles of oil to try and get more info.  Apparently, they really
had reduced the amount of zinc at some point and there was supposed to
be a new reformulation of the product.  So to qualify my remark, I
read a lot "about" Mobile 1, but not "from" Mobile Oil.

I would guess from what you found (I did -not- do any research on
Mobile 1 myself) that they have indeed responded to the market and
reformulated.

Just for the record, there was also a lot of talk about Royal Purple
and some of it was not favorable.  Not near as unfavorable as the talk
about Mobile 1 though.

It would appear that Larry Stock has given us a more updated list of
oils containing zinc, and I believe Mobile 1 was on that list.

Thanks for the added research. :)
Asa Jay