[DeTomaso] Oil, re-hash

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Mon Sep 8 16:11:25 EDT 2008

Asa Jay,

	Can you be a little more specific about your statement "I read a -lot-
about Mobile 1 yesterday and it was not good."

The Mobil site does list the zinc content of Mobil 1 15W50 as basically
being equivalent to the phosphorous level.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Zinc_Levels_1
5W50_Mobil_1_Products.aspx

This link
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Zinc_Motor_Oi
ls.aspx
states that the phosphorus is added thru a component called ZDDP (Zinc
DialkylDithioPhosphate).  Therefore, the zinc has to be present if the
phosphorous is being added in the form of ZDDP.

Since their chart at
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf
quotes the Phosphorous level at 1200 ppm I can only conclude that the ppm
levels of Phosphorous and Zinc in oils are the same as long as it's being
added in the form of ZDDP.  If Mobil is correct, that the true anti-wear
component of ZDDP is Phosphorous instead of Zinc, then quoting the
phosphorous level is more proper than quoting the Zinc level.

Doug Braun