[DeTomaso] Oil, re-hash

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 15:29:48 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/8/08 9:44:28 AM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> (Relative to ZDDP in oil) a flat tappet motor with lots of miles should be
> ok w/ new oils. (I'm thinking the cam/lifters would be well run in) TRUE OR
> FALSE????????

Absolutely correct: most cam/lifter wear occurs during break-in & the 1st 250
miles. If ZDDP is ever needed, its then. Afterwards is too late. And in any
case, a need for friction & wear modifiers is a function of your valve spring
stiffness and the rpms you commonly use. Stock springs in a street motor
probably will never need it except during cam break-in. FWIW- J Deryke