[DeTomaso] Ignition Coil Failures

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Mon Sep 8 12:00:01 EDT 2008

John

It's wound on an "E" shaped core which allows the use of thicker insulation
on the secondary wire windings.  The thicker insulation allows much higher
voltage output with less change of internal arcing (which is the main
failure in ignition coils).  The price you pay for this design over the MSD
Blaster's concentrically would design is a larger physical size and weight.
The Jacobs coil's larger size also helps to keep the entire assembly cooler.
Coils heat up during operation due to the currents running through their
windings.

To mount my Jacobs coil, MSD-6AL, MSD Tach Adapter, voltage regulator &
solenoid, I fabricated a larger aluminum plate to replace the stock plate
that mounts to the RH firewall.  The ground connection of this panel to the
car's frame (through its firewall mounts) is VERY important as both the MSD
and voltage regulator need a good ground.  Again, this can be easily checked
by looking for a voltage drop between the MSD-6AL's ground and the negative
battery post during operation.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505