[DeTomaso] Tire Sidewall height vrs high speed (heat) durability

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 13:06:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/6/08 2:49:54 AM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

> I'm also guessing that more (sidewall) rubber means more expansion at high
> speed and therefore less security?

Not necessarily. If you keep the inflation pressure up, they'll work fine,
especially if the tires are radials that are designed to work with slightly more
flexible sidewalls. To 'tune' radial tires such as Yokohamas in autocross, we
increased pressure. In belted-bias tires such as Hoosiers, we reduced
pressure. One thing to watch in reducing pressures is sidewall clearances to hard
things like uprights and fender lips. In hard turns, a tire tread (and its
sidewall) will move a surprising distance sideways. FWIW, Bonneville cars routinely
run 60-80 psi in their skinny, 50-year-old belted-bias tires without
significant blow-outs. The treads do come off some of these ancient skins, though.....
Good luck- J DeRyke