[DeTomaso] Axle socket

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 5 21:00:57 EDT 2008

P.S.   Not all of these tools are created equally.

The one you showed on that E-bay auction takes its input in the form of a 1/2
inch breaker bar.   I've also seen some that use 3/4 inch, which few people
have.

The one that Byars and Hall sell are the same:

http://precisionproformance.com/sc2019.htm

I have seen a competitor's tool (Dennis Quella, I think) that has a six-sided
hex instead of provisions for a breaker bar, like the factory tool.   This
lets you put a big socket around the back side of the tool, and then turn the
socket.

I don't know if that makes any difference or not, but the way the Hall/Byars
tool is made, it seems to have a fundamental weakness because it is drilled
out on either side of the four tangs.   I have seen these tools fail, ripping
the tangs right out when the nut is really on tight.   I've also seen the tangs
bend.

I have two axle nut tools, myself:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/AxleNutTools.jpg

The one on the left is a Hall/Byars tool, and the right comes from an unknown
source.   Note that the one on the right is set up for 3/4 inch drive.   I've
used both successfully, but have sometimes seen the center of the 1/2 inch
tool deform under heavy load; I've also seen breaker bars come apart in a big
way.   I've had better success using the external hex style tool.

I'd probably hunt around for that style, which I think has the same price,
but is more substantially made.   If you find where they come from, let us know!