[DeTomaso] Dan Jones Weiand-X question

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:24:33 EDT 2008

> I was looking at the CHI Aluminum heads web site and was wondering which
> 3V heads are recommended for a street motor?

The 218 cc's version (now advertised as 225 cc's) is the one that matches
Scott Cook's dual plane intake manifold.

> And I recall some one mentioning that the 2v Weiand X's ports match up
> to the heads. Any one, any one

Before they brought out the 2V version of their heads, CHI sold adapters
to mount 2V intakes like the Weiand but the adapters raise the intake
so it won't clear a Pantera engine screen.  CHI makes a dedicated 2V
version of their head now.  It doesn't flow as well as the 3V on the
intake side but the exhaust side is identical.  If you want to run the
Weiand Xcelerator 2V intake, go with the CHI-2V version.

> A couple of months ago you posted that Weiand-X had two different 2V
> intakes. I was looking on line and could only find one 2V intake part
> number 7516.

It was a running change.  Both carried the 7516 part number but one is
marked with "No. 7516" and the other is just "7516".  The lower one has
a trapezoidal opening that will clear a Motorcraft 4300D spreadbore but
not the larger throttle blades of a Qjet or ThermoQuad.  The taller one
is similar but is clearanced at the rear for larger throttle blades and
has dual carb bolt holes.  It appears it will clear the larger Qjet and
ThermoQuad throttle blades.

Dan Jones