[DeTomaso] Oil, re-hash

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Fri Sep 5 12:04:49 EDT 2008

Trying to close the loop on some information I was talking with
someone about recently, having to do with oil.  I know we've had these
discussions previously.

The missing component in most motor oils today is ZDDP?  Not sure if
I've got that part right.

I've been told, this missing component is now only found in oils meant
for Diesel engines; that it doesn't matter what brand or grade oil you
buy, if it's not meant for diesel engines, it won't have the proper
protections in it.  The source I heard this from only uses diesel oils
in their race cars now.

What opinions do our experts have on this?

Asa Jay