[DeTomaso] Aluminum Heads - opinions

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Wed Sep 3 22:16:52 EDT 2008

Dear Lynn,

              You wrote:

> Three questions:
>
> First:
>
> What is the value of a set of 4V cast iron heads.  Assume no cracks or
> damage.  I have everything but the valves and springs

$$$$$$    I just bought a pair of 4V quench iron heads for $500

> Second:
>
> What are the opinions regarding Aluminum heads?  If I'm buying heads I
> might
> as well consider all options

$$$$$$$     Aluminum heads are quite good.  They go from good to excellent
for flow and port velocity.

> I am not stroking the motor but am boring it out 0.030
>
> Revs over 6500 scare the crap out of me.
>
> I enjoy great acceleration in 1st through 4th (torque)
>
> I would rather smoke the tires that do 200 mph (my apologies to MD)
>
> 10.5:1 compression max
>
> ***Most of the lower end components are going to be stock due to budget
> issues.***
> Obviously if I am going to aluminum heads I will go to a roller valve
> train.
>

> Third:
>
> Do all the available header options bolt right up to the aluminum heads?

$$$$$   See Will's post on aluminum head and header compatibility.   I
understand that the Edelbrock heads permit direct bolt on of standard 351 C
intake manifolds and headers.

                In view of your stock lower end, your preference for torque
as well as the budget issues, I would think the best bang for your buck for
the  anticipated use would be the Edlebrock aluminum heads.  The CHI will
produce more power, but at a proportionate increase in cost.

                         For what it's worth,  Chuck Engles