[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 17:33:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/3/08 12 24 11, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> I also added a
> Perma-Cooler oil thermostat so the cooler is bypassed until oil temps get to
> 180 F.
> Laminova says this is unnecessary but I disagree- it gets cold here in
> Winter!

Jack--you've partially missed the point of the thing.   It's a heat exhanger,
which means it's an oil cooler but also an oil WARMER.   In cold
temperatures, you want the thing to be working, so the oil heats up to operating
temperature more quickly (water temp will climb much faster than oil temp, and the
exchanger will shed some of that water temp into the oil, aiding cooling AND
warming of the engine oil).

So, ditch the oil thermostat bypass and just run a conventional oil cooler
in/out adapter.   Let the heat exchanger earn its living full-time. :>)