[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 16:05:04 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/08 2:54:18 PM, MikeLDrew writes:

> Are you able to swap that baffle from one end of the cooler to the other?
> If not, then you would have to choose carefully which of the two pipes you
> put the cooler in place of.

The baffle is integral with the heat exchange element. Whichever way you
mount the cooler assembly, the baffle should be in a position to delay water
getting OUT of the assembly. For the mounting I used with the oil line fittings
forward, pointed back towards the engine (to avoid using expensive and bulky 180
degree fittings), I swapped the element position to the end closest to the
engine. It may not make much difference in ultimate oil temperature on our street
cars anyway.

As for what model Quella uses on his plastic racer, according to Laminova's
web site, there are many such oil heat exchangers including one with a built-in
cartridge oil filter. That one was too bulky for the available position I
had, and in any case would have made my oil thermostat harder to attach if one
relied on that filter as the only one in the oiling circuit. FWIW- J Deryke