[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 17:54:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/08 12 47 1, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Or the cast aluminum housing can be tapped to SAE 1/2" pipe and AN-to-pipe
> fittings added so one can run good braided-steel AN hoses for the hot high
> pressure oil.
>
>>>That sounds like a great idea, and a better solution than trying to screw
around with the unusual stock-style fittings.

>  My used Laminova off E-Bay already had dash-8 AN fittings on it with
> short AN hoses, and the Ford fitting retainer had never been tapped for the
> hold-down bolt. It was such a neat job and fit so well, for a while I
> thought
> thats the way they all were!
>
>>>Lucky man!

> By soaking std Pantera 1-3/8" radiator hoses in hot water, they can be
> forced
> onto the stock 1-1/2" Laminova hose fittings.
>
>>>Or a tailpipe expander can probably be used to expand a short length of 1
3/8" pipe up to 1 1/2", then a short section of hose used to connect the pipe
to the cooler?

> I shortened one of the
> Pantera's under-floor water tubes and substituted the Laminova near the
> back.
>
>>>Brilliant!   I was wondering about the fitment.   The standard Aeroquip
unit is fairly restrictive since the oil lines exit the top and bottom while the
water lines exit from the end.   The Ford unit has the oil lines running
parallel to the body of the cooler.   I presume you oriented it with the fittings
towards the front of the car, pointed towards the rear?

How did you physically attach the cooler to the car?   Did you just rely on
the hoses to retain it in position, or did you run the back end through the
grommet at the rear of the center structure where the water pipe is normally
supported, or what?

>  Finally,
> the Laminova is directional; on one end is a perforated circular baffle to
> slow down water flow thru the length and pick up more heat.
>
>>>Are you able to swap that baffle from one end of the cooler to the other?
 If not, then you would have to choose carefully which of the two pipes you
put the cooler in place of.