[DeTomaso] Starting problems

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 17:10:27 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/08 10 20 45, panteradon at gmail.com writes:

> What is the best modification/change to help hot starting conditions?  I
> already have the large welding cable from the battery to the solenoid.
>
> Replace battery (I have an Optima about 8 years old)
> Move battery to the back
> Change starting to a gear reductino starter
>

>>>Moving the battery is good for weight distribution, but hurts access.
And it probably has a minimal effect (if any) on cranking power.   Better to
sink it into the floor of the front trunk, like the factory did on the later
Panteras.

If you still have a stock starter and are having starter problems, that's a
good place to begin.   DB starters are less than $50, and apparently work
great.   I've got a similar $140 mini-starter from Pantera Performance Center on my
Pantera (and an even more expensive Powermaster starter on my Cobra), and it
works terrific.

Chances are, if you clean all your connections and install a new starter, and
ensure that you've got a good ground, you'll improve things dramatically.
If you still had hot-start problems, you might consider further insulating the
starter with a wrap or heat shield?

All this presumes that your battery is still good.   Have it tested before
you proceed further, and replace it if necessary.

Good luck!