[DeTomaso] Laminova oil cooler?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 15:46:05 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/08 7:24:31 AM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> The oil lines use some Ford specific quick connect fittings. Make sure you
> get the oil hoses with it. He can cut off the hoses and have new hoses made
> using the specific fittings.

Or the cast aluminum housing can be tapped to SAE 1/2" pipe and AN-to-pipe
fittings added so one can run good braided-steel AN hoses for the hot high
pressure oil. My used Laminova off E-Bay already had dash-8 AN fittings on it with
short AN hoses, and the Ford fitting retainer had never been tapped for the
hold-down bolt. It was such a neat job and fit so well, for a while I thought
thats the way they all were!
By soaking std Pantera 1-3/8" radiator hoses in hot water, they can be forced
onto the stock 1-1/2" Laminova hose fittings. I shortened one of the
Pantera's under-floor water tubes and substituted the Laminova near the back. Finally,
the Laminova is directional; on one end is a perforated circular baffle to
slow down water flow thru the length and pick up more heat. D Quella of Pantera
Parts-Colorado uses the Laminova/Aeroquip cooler on his Pantera racer and he's
a dealer for Aeroquip if anyone has more questions.
I'd also recommend disassembly and careful cleaning of internal debris from
any used unit (this is one great advantage of the Laminova/Aeroquip over welded
units), and coating contact cement such as Yamabond on the sealing o-rings in
each end. Early Laminovas had square o-rings while later ones used plain
round o-rings, both of which have been known to seep water into the oil or
vice-versa. Good luck- J Deryke