[DeTomaso] Connecting an antenna

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 15:17:32 EDT 2008

In a message dated 9/2/08 6:24:36 AM, NSakulen at aol.com writes:

> Could the windshield (glass) be made slightly larger so they could be glued
> in like newer cars without having to use the rubber seal?

A few problems: first, that would mean that vendors would have to stock two
different windshelds instead of the present outrageously expensive single one.
Second, there isn't enough flange on our steel surrounds to hold the glue even
with a bigger than stock glass. When this is done on a Pantera, an owner or a
shop has a TIG-welder attach filler pieces all the way around the opening-
some 15 FEET of careful welding and weld-dressing. And finally, with the glass
glued in place with standard windsheld adhesive, the stock Pantera body is
apparently flexible enough so some gasket-less windshield owners report glass
cracking. To do this sucessfully may require completely seam-welding the entire
body to stiffen it (add Quella's lower windsheld post crows-foot doublers and a
paint job into this), and/or adding front & rear chassis stiffening kits.
Frankly, the new look ain't worth that much trouble and expense to me just yet.
FWIW- J DeRyke