[DeTomaso] efi vs Weber respondents

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Fri Oct 31 19:04:44 EDT 2008

Dear Guys,

              What mods allow the 6500 rpm?

              Hmm,  primarily the specification that the engine manage 7000
rpm with a hydraulic cam. I figured that if I specified 7000 rpm, then it
should be able to handle 6500 rpm.  So that was the spec to Comp Cams.   The
rest of it is application of known 351C tricks: oil restrictors in
moderation, balancing, blueprinting, and attention to detail.  All of the
parts in the valve train and rotating mass are commonly available.  Heck, I
even reused the stock connecting rods after polishing and reconditioning.
There is nothing super trick about this engine.  {....now beehive springs
and judicious valve train selection might actually permit a usable 7000 rpm
engine.....}

               I built three engines before this one and this one took over
two years to assemble due to various issues, but the main one was teaching
myself with a long distance internet teacher how to use a dial bore gauge ,
how to use a  micrometer use, etc and making multiple trips to the friendly
and helpful machinist to get everything right.

               The engine will be delivered this evening and I will finally
begin the long awaited process of engine installation and the inevitable
debugging routine.

                              Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles