[DeTomaso] clutch problem

John Maffeo johnmaffeo1 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 14:06:39 EDT 2008

I went to fill up the tank today, a rare non-rainy day in Seattle, and while I was driving I experienced a strange issue with the clutch. Leaving a red light, the clutch went in much easier than what it normally does. At first I was worried, I was thinking that my clutch had gone-out. I have maybe 10-12k on a centerforce clutch and long-throw slave cylinder. I haven't raced the car, but there is occasional spirited driving.

On my way home, I ran through 1-3rd gears. There was no slippage in any of the ROM ranges up to 4500. I checked the reservoir thinking the fluid was low (possible leak?), but it was almost full.....I don't know what the exact level was before I drove it. I have never changed the clutch fluid.

Any ideas on why all of a sudden my clutch would be easier to depress than normal? People have told me that my clutch was abnormally stiff. It is now harder to depress than any other regular car I have driven, but compares equally to a few other Panteras that I have driven.....

Any ideas on what do do\check for?

thank you in advance for your time,

John Maffeo