[DeTomaso] Winter Driving in Norway

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Wed Oct 29 10:42:39 EDT 2008

cengles at cox.net skrev:
> Dear Torbjorn,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> And Yuppie to day the first snow fall, with a total chaos on the main
>> roads. Several 100 cars of the road.
>
> Please help me understand this situation. We in the subtropical zone of Oklahoma and Texas think that all residents of Scandanavia are completely familiar with cold, white snow material and are completely competent to drive in it. We think that the reason one or two inches of snow paralyzes Dallas or Oklahoma City and sends hundreds of vehicles into ditchs, other cars and freeway retaining walls is that we do not know how to drive in the snow. It would seem that Norwegians also have a short memory and have to re-learn each winter, too?? I just don't see how that can be, but several hundred Norwegians off the road don't lie. Aren't you all supposed to be natural ice, snow and rally drivers??? ;-)

The same thing invariably happens every year in Sweden on the first snow
and frost. It is as if snow  and ice is something completely unheard of.

I must also say that snow and frost is much worse in areas that don't
normally see much of it.

We who live up north has always looked down on the people living in
southern Sweden, or anywhere closer to the equator, where they run into
massive traffic issues if there are just a few snow flakes coming down.
After having driven through southern Sweden during a relatively mild
snowfall in December they get much more respect from me. I have seldom
experienced anything so slippery and messy.

It is normally much drier and colder up here, which gives a much better
grip.

Cheers,
Thomas