[DeTomaso] 930 crashes

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 15:11:53 EDT 2008

The Karman Ghia didn't have the power to get you into trouble and the
 faster speed combined with the inertia on the curve explained it all....

Actually any rear engined car will switch ends, especially one with swing axle rear suspension.  A low powered car takes longer to get up to speed, but once there will spin with the best of them.

My first car was a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe and I learned to take corners VERY SLOWLY in the rain.
On dry pavement you could corner pretty fast but whatever you did, lifting on the throttle was NOT an option.

And you got into a corner and found a wet patch you were certain to go off the road. So all fast driving involved scouting the road first.

The 930's were infamous because they had a ton of power that would come on suddenly and would go from power oversteer to trailing throttle oversteer and back in the wink of an eye-- there was no throttle setting that would keep the car on the road. Once at Riverside raceway I watched a 935 go off the road exactly the same way in the same spot lap after lap.

Jim