[DeTomaso] NPC: Nuke powered flight

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:03:42 EDT 2008

Short answer(s)...
 Aircraft don't "short out" from lightning strikes like you might think.  If they did, I wouldn't be writiing this.
Containment of radiation is not a problem even in a crash.  The weight is, at least with the stuff I'm familia with.
There have been functional engines produced.  Ram-jet type with nuke power heating inlet air in a typical ram-jet
type engine.  This idea would have allowed cruise misslies to be launched an loiter around for months at a time.
Kinda interesting.  Some Boeing turboprop and turbofan engines have produced good power too but I'm not familiar
with the design.  Most of the previous designs would have used a conventional engine for take off and a nuke for cruise.
I think.  Maybe.
Michael
GRCY   BBORR - April 2009> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:41:53 -0400> From: michael at michaelshortt.com> To: detomaso at realbig.com> Subject: [DeTomaso] NPC: Nuke powered flight> > Just read a blurb about the Gov in the UK wanting to explore Nuke powered> commercial aircraft.> > I guess these would be little reactors making electricity to turn a prop (> pull or push / both )> I know the list is full of engineers,> > How do you shield the passengers from radiation and still take off?> How fast can an electric plane fly, ( is there even an electric plane flying> how aside from a scale model )> What happens when it gets struck by lighting and it shorts out the whole> system> and lastly, planes, crash, what about the nuke fuel splattered about?> > Inquiring minds want to know?> > Michael in Savannah> -- > Michael L. Shortt> Savannah, Georgia> www.michaelshortt.com> michael at michaelshortt.com> 912-232-9390> > > This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy> Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally> privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified> that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this> communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to the sender that you> have received this message in error, then delete it. Thank you> _______________________________________________> > Detomaso Forum Managed by POCA> > Archive Search Engine Now Available at http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/> > DeTomaso mailing list> DeTomaso at list.realbig.com> http://list.realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso