[DeTomaso] NPC: Losing caps on my battery

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Mon Oct 27 13:33:34 EDT 2008

I've been driving the Mach I to work on a regular basis now for a few
weeks.  I recently opened the hood to change the air filter and
noticed one of the two battery caps was missing.  Three open holes to
the battery and quite a bit of electrolyte gone.  Telltale signs of it
having been off for a while abounded.  So I managed to pick up a spare
cap from a local Napa off a core.  I put it on and it all seemed well,
nice and tight, etc.

Fast forward about two weeks, I got to change the oil yesterday.  A
cap is missing AGAIN.  It's starting to look like the battery is
blowing the caps off.  this time, there was more than just a cursory
hint of acid being thrown about.  Things are looking ugly in the
battery corner.

My ammeter does not appear to show any kind of overcharging, but we
know how reliable a 30 year old ammeter can be.  The only thing that
makes any sense is that the battery is overcharging, but I've not
checked it yet.  I'd like to get another cap for it first.

Any idea?

Asa Jay
<yes, I'm looking to buy an Odyysey soon>