[DeTomaso] question for the world

astephens artstephens at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 11:11:18 EDT 2008

. The question came up how long would a car run without ANY
> charging going to the battery?

        Till it runs out of gas?  I suspected a bad battery in my 88 GMC
pick up truck.  It wouldn't start unless I had the battery charger hooked up
to it.  Having no other running vehicle,  I drove the truck to the auto
parts store to test the battery.  Knowing if the problem was the starter and
not the battery and that I would be screwed if I shut the engine off,  I
removed the battery while the engine was running and what do you know,  it
continued to run!  The battery tested fine and the parts guy told me that
sometimes when a starter starts going bad,  it will require more amps to
start the engine.  That is apparently what was happening.  The starter
needed more amps than my good battery could provide.  I replace the starter
and all was well.

Art