[DeTomaso] stock air cleaner wanted

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Mon Oct 27 09:36:19 EDT 2008

Dear Mike,

I bought Pantera no. 7171 with 2193 miles on it in 1988. It was absolutely stock. The air cleaner was pointed to cylinder no. one and the snorkel tube went down to the angled brace to the right of the engine. I can't recall which way the darn thing pointed. It is no longer installed......

Warmest regards, Chuck Engles

---- MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 10/26/08 17 47 45, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

>In later Panteras,
>the whole air cleaner seems to have been inexplicably rotated 180 degrees
>and
>the snorkel then pointed toward #1 cylinder- right into the area where most
>of
>the junk from underneath the car flows up and out. The same 'choke stove'
>and
>flex tubing were used.

>diagram:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill14d.html

You can see the fitting for it on the horn portion of the air cleaner (#1).
I believe that was a heat-actuated flapper valve, which opened and closed to
admit more or less air based on engine temperature. Is that correct, anyone?

As Jack said, originally the horn pointed toward the left rear tire. I
believe a vacuum-operated valve opened up a rectangular opening that was pointed
roughly towards the right rear tire, during heavy throttle operation, for
additional airflow.

Later, when the flex tubing was added, the air cleaner was rotated and I
believe the horn pointed towards the right rear tire. The secondary air intake
(fresh air intake) was then pointing towards the right front tire, and
connected to flexible ducting that picked up cool, fresh air from under/behind the
passenger seat.

Overall it was a pretty complex air induction system, drawing air in
different volumes and temperatures during varying operating conditions.

Mike

*