[DeTomaso] stock air cleaner wanted

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Oct 26 20:46:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/26/08 12:31:35 PM, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> From the dumb question department, what exactly is the snorkel? I'd
> also like to know where the flex tubing goes and where it ends on the side of the
> engine for a 74 L.

The snorkel is the part of a closed air cleaner that sticks out. On '71-72
Panteras, the 'snorkel' stuck out backward and the flex tubing led to a sheet
metal device caaled a 'choke stove' that fed hot air from around #8 cylinder up
to the air cleaner thru an air-operated door underneath the snorkel. When the
engine warmed up,   the air door closed (theoretically) and the engine then
drew cooler air from the main snorkel, but from a relatively clean area so the
air filter didn't suck tons of junk into the filter body. In later Panteras,
the whole air cleaner seems to have been inexplicably rotated 180 degrees and
the snorkel then pointed toward #1 cylinder- right into the area where most of
the junk from underneath the car flows up and out. The same 'choke stove' and
flex tubing were used. FWIW- J DeRyke