[DeTomaso] Troubleshooting Carb

astephens artstephens at charter.net
Sun Oct 26 11:57:31 EDT 2008

Thanks Will,
     I think you are right about the adjustment.  Instructions in the
Pantera Technical Information folder lead me to believe turning the screws
in would lean the mixture.  I also think it may now be a timing issue.
Apparently there is a ignition retard feature that retards timing ten
degrees during prolonged idling if the engine gets too hot.  I suspect that
valve is retarding my timing more often than necessary.  I will try
bypassing that thing and see what happens.  I also discovered that I need a
new coil wire as it is making an interesting light show after dark! One more
issue is that I think the float level needs to be adjusted.  I'm pretty sure
that there is too much fuel in the bowl leading to a leaking carb.  I'm
looking forward to what will hopefully be a productive day of Pantera
repairs.

Art