[DeTomaso] Pantera won't start

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 13:54:06 EDT 2008

Hi armchair quarterbacks.

Taking advantage of a wonderful Indian Summer day here in Spain I just got
back from a 45 minute jaunt in the Pantera. Car's running great! Roads are
empty and had a great time.

Came home and parked in front of the garage. Shut the car off to move some
things around in the garage before pulling the car in. Went back to the car
and turned the key. Zero. Zip. No noise from anywhere.

Symptoms - battery obvious fine - started the car just fine an hour earlier
and just came back from driving around. Radiator fans come on when key
turned to ACC. Lights and everything work. The only thing atypical is the
complete lack of noise when turning the key - no click from the starter
solonoid, no deflection of the amp meter. As though I hadn't turned the key.

I assume that this is a faulty starter solonoid due to the lack of a click?
Are there any other possibilities - faulty ignition switch?

Would someone be able to write a quick "starter woe troubleshooting for
dummies" guide, telling me where I need to confirm I have voltage, what that
thing looks like, where it is located, etc? It would be greatly appreciated.

ON the other hand, the car was considerate enough to die on me in my own
driveway. Considering how far I sometimes wander from home, that was very
thoughtful of the Pantera Gods!

Thanks all!