[DeTomaso] Ford 4.6 modular power in a Pantera

David Gordon dgordon100 at cox.net
Fri Oct 24 00:04:53 EDT 2008

Hi,

  I'd suggest looking carefully at your intended use and budget not only
short term but long term before deciding on a motor.  As one of the
"couple" that Jack referred to, though none are on the road yet as far
as I know, I'd probably say for day in and day out street driving and
occasional banzai runs, the Roush 427 FI motor is a pretty good choice.
It is Windsor based.   The 5.4 modular has a very long stroke and has
more torque than a 4.6 but doesn't rev as high.  I'm a tech junkie so I
chose a more technological advanced route plus a supercharged engine is
easier to get serious power from without having to tear it apart.  With
a pulley change the GT motor pumps out ~625 RWHP and if you go with a
larger supercharger ~750 to 850 RWHP all on pump gas and without having
to worry about internal engine part failures.  Turbo chargers are more
efficient but make power higher up.  A couple of people on with Ford GT
cars are running a twin turbo with the supercharger to have the low end
grunt of a supercharger with the all out power of turbochargers.  An
estimated 30% of all Ford GT cars have been wrecked according to one of
the moderators on the GT forum.  Increased power may mean increased risk
of damage to your car.

Last I heard the drive in drive out price of a regular 4.6 or 5.4
modular conversion was about $17K at one of the vendors.  Some money can
probably be saved by using a Ford PCM rather than a Motec.  Several
people have done the conversion themselves and saved some money.
Richard Barkley has a nice article on what he went through and some
resources he used to keep the cost down

Best wishes on your engine choice,

David