[DeTomaso] Ford 4.6 modular power in a Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 20:52:36 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/22/08 17 36 39, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> I was looking through Fords racing  sales web page and I saw their 4.6
> modular engine with aluminum block , 4 valve , dual overhead cams and
> availible with various setups that generate up to 700 hp starting at $6700.
> Has anyone heard of installing one of these in a Pantera?  The idea of dohc
> and 4 valve in an aluminum block seems like a good way to incorporate more
> modern engine technology. Any thoughts comments?

Several people (including several people on this forum) have installed the
little 280 cubic inch modular V-8 into Panteras.   I'm not particularly fond of
the conversion myself.   The engine is physically huge, apparently somewhat
lighter, much smoother, gets better fuel economy, and makes about the same power
as a stock 351C.

For the same money, you could either build a great 351C, or a 351W.   For a
bit more money you could get almost double the power with a stroker 427 based
on the 351W.

I can see no good reason to remove a 351-inch engine and replace it with a
280-inch engine, unless you are really into the technology, and don't mind the
expense and sacrifices that go with it.

I do know that Richard Barkley loves his 4.6, and I think Kjetil Finne loves
his turbocharged 4.6.   Brian Bernard spent over $15K having a two-cam Lincoln
4.6 put into his GT5-S, and he deeply regrets it.   He reports his car is
much smoother but also quite a bit slower than with its stock, low-compression,
smog-legal 351C.