[DeTomaso] Tjaarda Pantera sold for $100,000

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Oct 22 03:05:26 EDT 2008

Mike

Thanks for the straight scoop on this car.  You are quite a resource.

Frankly, I was thinking that a Pantera owned and personalized by TJ would
offer significant provenance worthy of a premium to market prices.
Obviously, others did as well, namely Barrett Jackson and HST, who
misrepresented the car in its description on the website to propel bidding
northward.  They clearly stated the car was owned bought by TJ who was
motivated to buy a Pantera and update it's exterior and interior styling.
As described in the auction material, I thought the selling price to be one
I could rationalize.

Of course the new owner will most likely fight till the death that this is
actually Tom's ex-car to protect his investment with the BJ documentation
adding continued life to the misrepresentation. Who could blame him. I'm not
litigious in nature; but, in this instance, I'd be calling the lawyers had I
been the buyer.

If your perceived comps on the car is accurate and it is a $40,000 car.  The
$60,000 premium plus commissions paid for the provenance that TJ's name lent
to it is very difficult to justify.

JT