[DeTomaso] Viper & others

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 17:06:59 EDT 2008

The Viper engine has some little known peculiarities. A Chrysler enginer gave
our Pantera chapter a talk on the car when it first came oiut. Someone asked
how they got the V-10 to run smoothly, being an inherantly unbalenced engine.
He said they programmed the EFI computer to inactivate a couple of cylinders
once per firing, so the poor crankshaft thought it was a V-8. Above 1500 rpm (I
think), this deactivation stops and you get full power but then, running
loads from the chassis tend to mask the unbalenced shakes. I'm curious if they
still set the computers up that way.
That was a more elegant solution than Buick came up with for their carbureted
V6: no matter what the engineers   did at idle, the thing shook and frothed
gasoline in the float bowls so it often stalled. Their final fix was super-soft
motor mounts, oversized float bowls, lowered floats and let the sucker shake!
Problem solved- as long as you didn't look too closely at idle with the hood
up. The word "Buick" on the air cleaner was blurry and hard to read.... J
Deryke