[DeTomaso] Thermo Switch For Radiator Fans

Michael J Becker mikebecker at cox.net
Sun Oct 19 20:45:25 EDT 2008

I am in the process of replacing my Fluidyne Radiator.  I pulled the thermo
switches out of the old one and decided to examine them.  I've noticed that
my fans always seemed to kick on at an appropriate temp, about 180 or 190
(acording to the stock gauge).  However, I also noticed that they take
forever to switch off.  They even kept going and going and going when the
radiator was cool to the touch.  So I was examing the markings on the switch
and here's what I see along the edges of the switch:

VEGLIA  (manufacturer)
73-14 (model number perhaps)
60 - 50 (each suffixed with the standard degree symbol)

By my calculation, 60 - 50 celsius translates to 140 - 122 degrees
farenheit.  If I had to guess, I'd say that means it closes the circuit (i.e
turns on) at 140 degrees farenheitand opens the circuit at 122.  But that
seems way too low.  On the other hand, this might explain why it took
forever for the fans to switch off.  This picture (
http://www.wzops.cn/showpt.aspx?id=962 ) may not be the exact same switch,
but it looks exactly like this one.  Does anybody know what the markings I
see really mean?