[DeTomaso] vetts vs. Pantera

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Sat Oct 18 19:06:54 EDT 2008

One day the C6 is setting a fast lap at the  N-Ring, after a week we are
seeing a Viper
going even faster. I am pretty sure we could find another car, like the
Koenigsegg
or the like to go even faster. So the question is what such test is showing?
Other than
beeing a good advertise for the car in the eyes of  presumtive customers.
Mid engine or not, what we are dealing with is CG location and polar moment
of inertia.
What is best is depending on the type of racing we are doing. The fact that
F1 cars
is closer to 50-50% these days is the tire rules. And the fact thet these
cars are heavy
downforce, which overrides the importance of weight balance. What is still
important
here is CGH in order to minimice load transfer.
My own Corvette construction is having a shorter WB (96") since our track is
shorter
and more turns, so there arent any general "best" anything, it is just a
matter of suiting
the car to circumstances. The Tw is 65" wich max allowed from the rules
(very sientific).
The reason it is a front engine is becouse that the car is supposed to have
a few things
in common with a normal Corvette, but in reality the engine is almost a "mid
engine"
location, with a 55% rear weight bias.
The car is underweighted by 250 p, so we will see where the added weight
will do the
best on laptimes later on.
Goran