[DeTomaso] C6 vs Pantera?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 14:30:09 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/18/08 11:13:09 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> There may be other advantages in having the engine nearer the center, maybe
> some gyroscopic effects of the rotating crank, flywheel, etc., or even the
> effects on oiling etc. that are minimized when the motor is in the center
> (just guessing here).  Also, putting the transmission in the back to somewhat
> balance the front engine increases the moment of inertia.  I suspect you want as
> much of the mass near the center as possible to optimize handling.

I haven't driven a C-6 hard, but the earlier Corvettes show the diferences
between the two chassis lay-outs. Typically, if you have experience in a Pantera
or Lotus at speed, you'll turn the wheel on a 'Vette and nothing much seems
to happens for a finite period before the car responds. Its almost like a
delay-loop in the steering. In contrast, doing the same maneuver with any
mid-engine car, it   will instantly respond; matter of fact if you're jerky, you better
have an armful of counter-steering real handy or you'll spin! 'Vette drivers
are often appalled at the steering sensitivity when they first try driving a
well-set up Pantera. And some that buy a Pantera after long experience with
'Vettes never do get used to it. Judy used to beat one ex-Vette owner regularly
autocrossing, who was forever spinning his higher-horsepower Pantera on our
courses. He finally sold the car....
I've heard the Z-06 is even better than the 'regular' 'Vette, but I cannot
understand how an aluminum-framed, carbon-fiber-floor two-seater comes from the
factory weighing 3100 lbs! 2600 lbs (wet) should be more like it. FWIW- J
Deryke