[DeTomaso] C6 vs Pantera?/ Dick Ruzzin

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 14:12:35 EDT 2008

I'm not sure I can agree that there is no longer an advantage to mid engine.  I thought that all the unlimited (excluding off road and rally) race cars (F1, Indy, ect.) are mid engine still?

There may be other advantages in having the engine nearer the center, maybe some gyroscopic effects of the rotating crank, flywheel, etc., or even the effects on oiling etc. that are minimized when the motor is in the center (just guessing here).  Also, putting the transmission in the back to somewhat balance the front engine increases the moment of inertia.  I suspect you want as much of the mass near the center as possible to optimize handling.

Ken