[DeTomaso] Steering Rack

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 14:15:08 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/15/08 9:49:28 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> What would happen if you mixed this zero weight grease Mike speaks of, with
> the 90 weight lube Jack speaks of?

'Grease' is nothing more than regular pourable lube mixed with clay or maybe
a stearate to thicken it like cake batter so it doesn't flow. Over a long
period, the liquid will separate or evaporate, leaving a hard substance behind.
This is what we find in our window lifts and wiper gearboxes. If the bearings or
whatever you're trying to lube are designed to tolerate the thickeners, then
no harm is done. I have no idea what a "zero weight" grease might be- they
aren't normally sold by 'weights'.   I have 'instrument', 'chassis' and 'high
temp' greases in the shop. My 2¢- J DeRyke