[DeTomaso] Tonight's debate: Vette vs. Pantera.. "a moment of

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 13:36:39 EDT 2008

<<< the Pantera makes for a humbling balance (except  for its beautiful styling) sucks on comfort, sucks on fuel efficiency,  super sucks on reliability >>>

I gotta agree with Tom on this one...

Comfort - My 72 Pantera is WAAAAY more comfortable than any pre-84 Vette, and IMHO
ergonomically more comfortable than any Vette since. Granted, a C5 or C6 does offer a
better suspension, but I can't stand the feeling of sitting in the heel of a tennis shoe.

Fuel efficiency - Yup!  It sucks!  But I didn't buy it for fuel efficiency. But it does get better
fuel economy than my friends' '58 and '71 Vette's though!

Reliability - I drove my original 100,000 mile Pantera as my daily driver for 3 years with
nary a problem. Perhaps you should have someone else work on your car, or drive it more
often. Hangar rot kills em, regardless of whether it's an old car, motorcycle or airplane.
Once my engine rebuild is complete I expect to put another 100,000 trouble-free miles on
the Pantera.

Granted, I wouldn't mind having a late-model Corvette. It's definitely a LOT of car for the
money. If I could afford it, I would probably have one too.  But never in lieu of my Pantera!