[DeTomaso] Oil Leak

Trevor Fougere trevor at fougere.com
Thu Oct 16 11:18:56 EDT 2008

I have an oil leak.  The good news - it's not a gasket.  The bad news - it's
the adaptor for the oil pressure sender.

On the Windsor the adaptor is mounted just above the oil filter, and neatly
tucked in behind my mechanical fuel pump.

The sender adaptor is a 3 part assembly.  A threaded portion with a "molded"
nut around the middle of the threads at the

block.  The middle section is a double male barrel with a "molded" nut
around the middle.  The third part ( only the beginning

of which is visible screws into the other end of the barrel and has the Oil
Pressure sender (electrical) mounted at the far end.

It is  impossible to get any kind of a wrench in there.and, in fact, you
need two.one to hold the barrel while you

screw down the end piece into the block.  None of this is particularly
visible/accessible  unless the oil filter is removed. It appears the only

way to repair this involves removing the fuel pump, and I can't see or get
at where it's mounted on the block.

The Windsor block does appear to have another access hole (plugged up) just
beneath the metal tube that runs into the

slave clutch cylinder.  There is about 1-1/2 inches of clearance beneath the
tube.enough to maybe get the sender

mounted on some kind of angled adaptor.  The fuel pump has a rubber wrap and
is right up against one of the metal coolant

tubes (thus making me wonder if it should be replaced with an electrical
pump to eliminate eventual damage due to contact vibration).

So my question is what are my options for repairing this leak?

Where do people typically mount an electrical pump, fuel regulator, etc?

Can I  (somehow) get the fuel pressure sender adaptor out with some kind of
grips?  Plug the hole and move it to the rear of the block, leaving

The fuel pump in place without requiring it's removal and re-installation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor