[DeTomaso] i HATE COMPROMISES Re: chaparalls/FWIW/Dick Ruzzin

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 00:43:29 EDT 2008

Interesting history Dick.....I certainly agree that the C5 to C6, the Z06 and ZR1's were/are incredibly well engineered...but your a designer.....do you look at the styling of the Corvette as exciting stuff?

  I remember the first time I saw a '63-67 Stingray.... I was just blown away. ....By the time I could afford a Vette I didn't want one.....I wanted a Ferrari Lusso...none were available at the dealer so I settled for a .use XKE then the Pantera...ah yea, the PANTERA ;-}>

  Dawg

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com wrote:
  It was a special time.
I worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan at Design Staff.
Our building was across the street from Engineering Staff. Behind it was a short track about a mile long with a loop at each end.  Chevrolet Engineering was behind that and it had ab
out four big bright blue stacks which contained dynamometers.

Often we would hear, from inside our building, engines running at full throttle in the dyno stacks about a half mile away. The noise was deafening.

Once, at lunch hour, driving  alongside the track I saw a Corvette Grande Sport flash by going the other way. Of course I did not know what it was. Later, talking to my boss, Dave Holls, about it, he told me what it was. He proposed the name to Duntov, one that was associated with a historic performance car of some kind.

I worked in the big Chevrolet Studio, designing Impalas and Monte Carlos at that time, but there was no doubt that to all of us that Chevrolet was a very spirited organization. Chevrolets and especially Corvettes were causing a lot of excitement in the race world.

I think that todays Corvette lives up very well to that heritage.

All the best,

Dick Ruzzin________________________dickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230