[DeTomaso] steering rack

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 13:32:18 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/14/08 6:20:38 AM, rtaspl at aol.com writes:

> If I hit a sharp bump in the road I hear a clank sound from the right FR
> side of the car. I have the brass kit in place of the old poly bushing, and I
> have track the sound to that. it has very little movement up and down, is this
> normal? also if I pack baring grease in the right side the sound almost goes
> away. What or how do you fill the steering rack?

Its possible the clunk is a mis-adjusted coupling between the steering rod
and the rack gear-very near the bronze bushing. This spanner nut is adjustable
for tension by screwing it in or out and its locked by staking the nut. If this
wasn't done, or wasn't done right, the nut will gradually unscrew and make
for loose steering. But nothing lasts forever- even properly-sized bronze
bushings do wear out, especially if the boot is punctured and all the lube runs out.
I do not recommend axle grease because it doesn't stay where the wear occurs.
The OEM lube was 90-wt gear lube, added by pulling a boot loose on top and
squirting the lube in with an oil can or syringe & small hose. Good luck- J
Deryke