[DeTomaso] Slippage in 4th gear, Clutch recommendations?

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 23:39:40 EDT 2008

I don't think Bruce ever said it slips in 4th, but not 5th.

I agree with M.D.  The only thing that acts like a slipping clutch is a
slipping clutch.

I agree with Jack too.  First, make sure the clutch is releasing all the
way.  If you're sure you have it adjusted properly, and it's still slipping,
change the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

You have several options:

1.  Stock style parts (long pressure plate)
2.  Diaphragm clutch/pressure plate
3.  Aluminum flywheel or resurfaced stock flywheel.
4.  Dual disc

If you stay with the stock style parts, you can do it cheaply by rebuilding
what you have.  Both the pressure plate and clutch disc are pantera
specific, so don't try to use a Mustang part.

If it were me, and I wanted stock style parts, I'd contact a Pantera vendor.
These guys know what work.  You may be able to find it on your own, but I
don't think you'll save a lot of money.

If you want to use a diaphragm PP, you'll have slightly less pedal pressure.
I have a Centerforce dual friction, and I like it a lot.  There are at least
2 Centerforce PN's that work.

I bought a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for $280 from The Mustang Depot (ebay).
Just look for a small block Ford 164T flywheel.  The Fidanza flywheel comes
with 28oz and 50oz weights.  You use the 28oz for a 351C.

You should consider buying a throwout bearing while you're at it.  They
aren't very expensive. They're easy to change once you get everything out.
I'd buy one from a Pantera vendor.

You should also consider buying a front seal for the ZF.  When you get the
ZF out, check the input shaft to the transmission.  If it's leaking a trail
of fluid, replace the seal.  The seal is about $1 from a bearing supply
house.  I have one in the garage.  I can get the PN for you if you need it.

I think Dennis Quella sells 2 different dual disc clutches.  If I remember
correctly, they were both under $1K - maybe $800ish.  I don't think you need
a dual disc clutch, but it's there as an option.  This isn't a shameless
plug for Dennis.  I simply don't know what the other vendors stock.

Will.