[DeTomaso] NICE Pantera wanted to buy-I purchased #5606!

Kerry Maguire kmaguire at landrovermiramar.com
Sun Oct 12 21:57:46 EDT 2008

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who answered me publicly and privately in regards to my search for a Pantera to buy.

I have found "my car".

Here is synopsis in regards to my purchase experience:

 Ralph Suarez, of the San Diego Pantera Club,  gave me the lead on this vehicle as he saw it at a car show in Belmont Shores a couple of months ago and picked up a flyer.

I gave a call to Russ Sena, the owner. He purchased the vehicle in 1979 (29 years ago!) from the original owner, a studio executive at Paramount Studios, Hollywood. He said the original owner was frustrated with the car because it had "too many issues" and sold it to Russ.

When I spoke to Russ a couple of months ago, he told me that the car was at Precision Pro Performance for an MSD ignition install as well as the installation of jack pads front and rear. He suggested that I stop by and take a look at it.

I visited the shop and informed Don, the technician working on Russ' car, that all I wanted to do was just take a look at it and please do not let me disturb him from doing his work.

To make a long story short, Don spent almost an hour going over the car with me and what improvements Russ had made to it.

After 29  years, Russ had decided to sell the car, because he is now more into sailing and will use the proceeds from the sale of his Pantera to upgrade his sailboat.

Russ provided me with a few "odd" :) items, namely an original, brand new condition spare tire with cover and the windshield wipers. The owner's manual is in absolutely, pristine, brand new condition. He also gave me a supply of fuses and replacement light bulbs. He also gave me a box of good, factory Pantera rotors.

Since the car has the factory wheels in an 8" and 10" width, I will probably immediately purchase a replacement set of tires. The tires on the car are in near new condition, but I know that replacement rubber is getting very scarce.

He also gave me the dealer Service manuals for the Pantera as well as a book that details every bulletin regarding service actions to be performed on the cars.

Lastly, EVERYTHING works on the vehicle. The car is in very good to excellent condition and show tremendous pride of ownership.

It took Russ and I about 2 months to come to terms on price, but we finally did.

Please see the attached photos above.

The following info is from Russ' flyer:

Engine:  351 C 4v

*	Rebuilt 1984
*	Engine balanced
*	Bored 30 over
*	Block decked and line bored
*	Bronze freeze plugs
*	New TRW pistons
*	Chrome molly rings
*	Rods polished and shot peed, heavy duty rod bolts
*	Crank ground 10-10 Tuffrided and oil holes chamfered, heat treated, oil resistor plugs.
*	ISKY cam
*	Cloyes True roller double row timing chain, steel sprocket gears
*	High volume oil pumps
*	10 quart oil pan, windage tray
*	Hall Pantera high tork starter
*	Aluminum high flow water pump
*	Holly high performance fuel pump
*	Heavy duty inline filters
*	Edalbrock manifold
*	Holly 750 dual feed carburetor
*	Neophalactic carb spacer
*	Inline fuel pressure gauge
*	Ford Dura-Spark Distributor/MSO system

*	Stainless steel braided lines.

Heads

*	Magna fluxed, resurfaced
*	Milled to accept screw in studs 5/16
*	Manley guided plates
*	3/8 Pushrods, hardened tips
*	Heavy duty springs, chrome molly retainers
*	Roller rockers
*	Stainless steel valves Teflon coated bronze valve guides
*	Hardened valve seats
*	Chrome valve covers.

Exterior Trim

*	Painted 1995, shows well
*	All exterior trim powder coated
*	Aluminum side markers
*	Aluminum door handles
*	New glass windshield and rear window
*	New rubber seals, door, front trunk, rear trunk and stops
*	New carpet, trunk and tray
*	New side view mirrors
*	New emblems
*	Splash shields, powder coated, new rubber moldings
*	Hall Pantera hood vents
*	8-Inch front Campy, 10 inch rear Campy, 205 BF Goodrich , 305 BF Goodrich tires, approximately 5,000 miles.

Interior

*	New interior
*	Hall Pantera A/C and heating system.  A/C condenser moved forward.  New fan, heater valve, Neoprem hoses, rotary pump
*	New rubber pads to clutch and brake pedals
*	New aluminum accelerator pedal assembly and cable
*	Overhead speaker system
*	Alpine radio, setup for Sirius satellite radio, I-pod
*	Billed aluminum - shift handle, seat handles
*	Seat rollers replaced with bronze units
*	Hall Pantera replacement foam to seats
*	Dash recovered
*	Hall Pantera center counsel
*	New Bosh window switches
*	Bronze window gears
*	New window felts
*	New turn signal assembly
*	New Sparco steering wheel assembly
*	New carpet to front and rear trunks.

Cooling System

*	Hall Pantera Phoenix radiator
*	New fan sensors
*	Two sucker fans, new
*	Stainless steel water tubes and pressure tank, overflow tank
*	New Neoprem hosing
*	Aluminum cap.

Transmission

*	In good condition
*	Aluminum flywheel
*	Hay's diaphragm pressure plate panel clutch, throw out bearing
*	New slave cylinder stainless line and braided hoses
*	Stainless steel vent tube
*	Rebuilt half shafts
*	New speed gear seals
*	New speedometer cable
*	Billet aluminum trunion bearing.

Suspension

*	New upper and lower ball joints
*	New Neoprem bushings
*	New Neoprem motor mounts
*	Rebuilt brake system, stainless steel braided brake line
*	New wheel bearing front and rear
*	New upgraded Hall Pantera master cylinder and brake lines
*	New brake light  sending unit
*	New Hall Pantera heavy duty rear sway bar, billet aluminum brackets
*	Original rear sway moved to front of car
*	Bronze spacer to rack and pinion steering
*	New rack and pinion rubber boots
*	New Koni shocks
*	Spacers removed from springs
*	Billet aluminum wheel housing camber bar
*	Suspension powder coated

Precision Pro-Performance rigged suspension kit installed.

Here is a link to some pictures from ProvaMo:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNNB05606/RTHPNNB05606.asp?

P.S. to Chuck,

You can now remove the car from the "Panteras for sale" page".

:)

Regards,

Kerry