[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 51, Issue 12- Oil Coolers

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 12 20:03:15 EDT 2008

I have been reading about all the options for oil
coolers after returning from the Famosa Hot Rod
reunion- 70 plus Nitro cars cackeling last night
my eyes are still burning

My problem of trying to keep the oil cool is directly
related to rpm period.... I have tried 4 coolers
three air to oil and the water to oil I currently have
on the car.... I can run all day long at 6000 rpm and
keep the temp from 240-260.... as soon as I creep
to 6800 rpm which is where I run my car on the track
it goes to 280-300 plus

When I ran my car at the Silver State with a taller 5th gear
only I ran the 140 class due my rookie status the car
was fine at 140-150 when I did my 165 run thru the timing
traps the car crept up to 280 oil temp... water temps have
always been fine from 190 to 205

I talked to a Viper tech who has won the Virginia City Hillclimb
and he believes that my 180's next to the valve covers heat
the oil enough to make the difference.... He believes sheilding
would eliminate the problem....   maybe worth a try

I am also considering going back to air to oil cooler or coolers
behind the rear wheels and then vent the back of the car...
I have filled the holes previously as my 180s go out thru the
vent in the center of the car.... this system would be similar
to our German boys at Porshe that use the space for intercoolers
on the Turbo Models

My two cents

Bob Benson- The never ending oil temp problem

Also replacing my second water pump that has failed due
to running a water to oil fluidyne cooler